Chances are, if you are reading this, this word creates a bit of stress in and of itself.
When did eating become so damn complicated?
There are thousands of different experts out there who will tell you that their one way is the way that you should be eating. And the fads come and go as quickly as Taylor Swift finds a new man and sings about their tragic breakup. It is super confusing! (the eating, not Taylor’s dating life)
Then toss that big ol’ cherry on top. Excuses
Oh yeah, over the years, I have heard them all. Some with validity, some that were outright ridiculous. I witnessed someone stating this week that eating organic was a luxury reserved to a certain race and class. When I began eating organic, I was living paycheck to paycheck and had my money stretched to the penny so I call a big heaping stack of BS on that one.
The thing is, we over complicate it. We really, really over complicate it.
Clean eating fads come and go as quickly as Taylor Swift finds a new man and sings about their tragic breakup @ashliepappas
Changing how you eat is not easy. It is a change. It takes effort. But it can be accomplished by anyone.
Here are a few of the most frequent excuse I hear and how to bust through them:
- “I don’t have the money” – You do. I promise. It may mean giving up your daily runs to Starbucks, or skipping the drive-thru when you are crunched for time. Or even worse, EEEK! having to buy the ingredients and prepare your meals beforehand. The first step I made when I lost over 100 pounds was carrying apples with me everywhere I went. I didn’t like apples, they were messy. But I was sick of being so out of shape and willing. I actually saved money.
- “I don’t have the time” – Since, I was on such a tight budget, I did have to spend a few hours on Sunday nights cooking meals for the week that I could take to work or pop in the oven (or yes, even the microwave, don’t think I’m perfect!) if I didn’t have time to make a meal that evening. Doing this will actually save you time! Now that money isn’t as tight, I really, really appreciate the wide selection of organic, GMO free healthy pre-made meals out there. I still try to pre-prepare meals I make, but I have a bit more flexibility now. (see, eating better = making more money! Joking, totally joking. but it does allow for clearer thinking and more productivity which may lead to more income. Just sayin.)
- “I don’t have the resources” – It is almost impossible to throw a stone without finding healthy food options these days. You may live in an area that is a little late to the game, but it doesn’t mean you have to be left out. With the internet and sites like Thrive Market, you can get kickass deals on food that is actually good for you.
- “I’m not perfect” – Duh. No one is. I’d be lying if I told you that I eat all organic, all natural, all the time. What is important is finding the changes you can make and really commit to. Then trying to continue to improve your eating. Eventually it will be completely transformed and you won’t even have realized you did it. It can be that easy if you are gentle on yourself and don’t try to climb the entire mountain in one day.
- “I don’t know how” – Totally a-okay. You don’t need to know everything right away to start eating healthier and cleaner. There are simple steps you can take to learn how. You can start eating more whole foods or preparing meals from them yourself. You can look for things like “organic” or “GMO free”. I understand, I used to bounce from fad to fad and found that I was more confused than ever. A great place to start is grabbing the Beginning’s Guide to Cleaner Eating.
Eating doesn’t need to be stressful or complicated. If you have an excuse that wasn’t addressed, put it in the comments and I will help you bust through it!
Anxiety. If you've ever lived with it, you know how crippling it can be. If you've ever lived with it without knowing that it was anxiety... you may have found yourself wondering if you were losing your mind. Questioning if there was something wrong with you,...read more
Detox... it's almost a dirty word these days. Detoxification is more than just a fad, it's completely valid. If something is toxic, it's harmful... so it makes perfect sense that you'd want to make sure to remove anything harmful you may be subjected to,...read more
You may have noticed that over the past few weeks I haven't been online much. There is good reason for it! I have been out living. I mean, going out on adventure after adventure, thrive, making up for lost time, filling my soul at the deepest level type of living. A...read more
A few years ago, my entire life was turned upside down by a series of events. The biggest thing was getting really sick and eventually discovering I had POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia), Dysautonomia, EDS (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome), and a host of other...read more
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, if you have kids, you’ve heard of the newest trending gadget… fidget spinners. Little devices made of plastic and/or metal that boast the ability to soothe stress and pacify those of us who suffer from anxiety, autism, or...read more
Are you really living? It's a serious question, I promise. A lot of us aren't living. A lot of us are waiting until we get [the house, the kids, the husband, the raise, the better body, etc]. So many things that put life on hold. So many excuses to shrink into...read more
Two of my favorite things ever... essential oils and meditation. Guess what? Essential oils and meditation play well together! I'll share with you a bit about the why, but let's be completely honest here... you are more curious about how to. That's why I am going show...read more
Do you ever have the mentality that if you don't look at something, then it doesn't exist? Yes, definitely avoidance at it's best. You convince yourself that you're eating good, healthy foods. That you aren't taking in more energy than your expelling, but yet...read more
What does meditation help with? Everything. Free 3 Minute Meditation Okay, that's a bit of a blanket statement, but after practicing meditation for years, in a wide variety of life circumstances, I can truly say that there isn't a single facet of...read more
While having a dedicated meditation space is by no means necessary, it is something that I've found really nice to have. It's that daily reminder to meditate. It's inviting, safe, and inspiring. Having a dedicated space tells the universe and yourself that you are...read more