For Christmas 2013, in an attempt to be thrifty I decided to craft many of my Christmas gifts to share some of my favorite things. I began with a mason jar, decorating it with raffia and burlap ribbon (huge time commitment for a perfectionist like me!), added mala beads for meditation, then made my own soaps, each with therapeutic benefits for the person with hand-picked essential oils going into them, a brown sugar scrub or shaving soap, and lip balm. These gifts were a hit, but boy did I get in over my head! I made almost 30 of these gift jars, all with high-quality, home-made products inside. I really did put a lot of love into them.
I am a lip balm snob and a lip-balm junkie! There are very few things in life that I actually need to be okay, and lip balm is one. There is nothing worse to me than having lips that are so dry that they feel like they will crack and bleed if I so much as speak. I was a little nervous making the lip balm since it is something I had never done before and usually if I don’t know for certain what I am doing. I am apprehensive by nature, but it turned out awesome! So awesome that people still offer to buy it from me. One friend went on and on about how well it helped to promote healthy skin around her lips.
Here is how you can make your own super fabulous natural lip balm:
- 4 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Butter
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Almond Oil
- 4 Tbsp Beeswax (make sure to use the pellets, the blocks are a BIG hassel!)
- 1/2 Tsp Peppermint Essential Oils
- 24-30 Empty Tubes or Mini-canisters (got the tubes online and the canisters from the beading department of a craft store)
- Melt the Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, and Beeswax in a double boiler (or if you are thrifty like me, a pot full of water with a glass bowl containing the mixture partially submerged in it)
- Once the mixture is completely melted, gently stir in the Peppermint Essential Oil
- CAREFULLY drizzle the mixture into the tubes or canisters using a small measuring cup or beaker. If you try to pour it from the glass bowl it will solidify and make a mess.
- Let sit until full cooled
How do you feel about your lip balm? Are you a snob like me or completely indifferent?
P.S. If you try this recipe, please share your experience 🙂
Recently, I've been feeling stuck in a repetitive cycle, similar to a hamster running on a wheel without making any progress. It takes constant surrender, connecting with something larger than myself, turning off my head, and moving my feet to make any real...
It's no secret that meditation is touted to be a powerful way to reduce stress and provide a multitude of various wellness benefit from lowering blood pressure, increasing productivity, and even helping with weight loss. Science is discovering more and more...
When you start to get stressed out does it ever seem like life starts to come at you from all directions? If you are nodding your head "yes", you're not alone. It can seem like the minute something stressful heads our way, we seem to attract more and more of...